I’ve been doing little bits of planting in the last month or so – replacing losses in the existing areas and beneficial bug attracting flowers like borage mainly. It is May though, so I really needed to get started on the main push of planting even though we have not had success in attracting a WWOOFer to help at the moment (we are still looking if you are interested!) and we are missing a couple of parts for the irrigation extensions required.
The planting days on the biodynamic calendar rolled around so I took the plunge with hopes of getting a good start on the ‘front yard’ area. I laid out the plan, counted the trees required (120!!) and started the process of soaking them in seaweed solution to prepare them for the indignity of having their roots exposed however briefly.
Enlisting the 4 year old wrangling assistance of Noven on Friday and Saturday I set myself up over on the hills and began…
Working as consistently as I could I managed to get 88 trees planted by the end of the day on Saturday (I had to water the last ones in the dark). All the new babies have tree guards and are planted in their own personal swales, however they still need drip irrigation and mulch to be set up for their first year in the ground so there’s quite a bit more to do in this area as well as the rest of the planting.
It does make an immediate difference, even though they are less than 20cm tall – this morning, I stood in the valley surrounded by the new plantings and it felt like there were trees there, making the shape of the land I had created seem a little bit more real somehow. I am looking forward to their growth and how it will effect the rest of the gardens to have this buffer of planting to the west.