2016 – 2107 Progress Report

The year has turned again, and it’s been a busy one, although a great deal of the work has been outside of our little block. With home school added to the day, a major renovation project at the other site we are also working on and a couple of sizeable landscaping works at other locations we’ve been a bit distracted from the ‘to do’ list here. None the less, a fair amount of progress has been achieved and according to my massive project schedule we are only a couple of months behind… hopefully we can catch that up in the next few months and stay on track for a completion date somewhere before the end of June 2021 (in time for a nice big Birthday/Housewarming party I’d like to hold).

For my own purposes, here is a list of what we have achieved:

  • Removed the old tank stand!
  • Redesigned the garden beds in the shadehouse to add in paths and raise the beds one sleeper height
  • Finished building the walls and roof of the garden shed
  • Planted the back two animal yards

[Time out for other projects:

  • Designed and landscaped a surburban Newcastle (NSW) yard from bare grass to something a lot more suitable
  • Re-pointed the whole cellar of the Gallery – another building 800m from home
  • Installed a floating floor in the cellar so it can be used as an office space until the office structure is built up here.
  • Worked with community members to design, apply for funding and begin implementing a picnic ground/park in the centre of the town, currently approximately 40% complete

Back to scheduled works…]

  • Put a flagstone floor in the garden shed and filled it with stuff. Still needs cladding and organising but we started the cladding process and will continue as we can.
  • Reorganised the main shed now that the ‘garden’ stuff is out of it. This still needs to be finalised but that doesn’t seem like it’s a task that will ever end.
  • Destroyed the ‘sleepout’ on the western verandah and rebuilt it slightly larger and far more structurally sound so that we have a temporary bedroom – yay for turning the tiny house into a two bedroom one
  • 3/4 built the stone wall around the well – that’s the current project which was begun at the start of the year and then put on pause so the other outside projects could be worked on
  • SO MUCH WEEDING! The downfall of a consistently wet year…

So, without further ado, here are the progress photos for the last year:

 

As a special treat, seeing we are nominally half way through this project, here are a couple of photos taken in February 2009 that show what it was like before we decided to actually do some real work here.

before-1

From the inside of what is now the outdoor kitchen looking across the block

before-2

Shadehouse, old broken clothesline, now the Faerie Garden

Thanks to all the great WWOOFers and family help we’ve had this year… may the coming year be just as productive!