The year has turned again, and it’s been a busy one, although a great deal of the work has been outside of our little block. With home school added to the day, a major renovation project at the other site we are also working on and a couple of sizeable landscaping works at other locations we’ve been a bit distracted from the ‘to do’ list here. None the less, a fair amount of progress has been achieved and according to my massive project schedule we are only a couple of months behind… hopefully we can catch that up in the next few months and stay on track for a completion date somewhere before the end of June 2021 (in time for a nice big Birthday/Housewarming party I’d like to hold).
For my own purposes, here is a list of what we have achieved:
- Removed the old tank stand!
- Redesigned the garden beds in the shadehouse to add in paths and raise the beds one sleeper height
- Finished building the walls and roof of the garden shed
- Planted the back two animal yards
[Time out for other projects:
- Designed and landscaped a surburban Newcastle (NSW) yard from bare grass to something a lot more suitable
- Re-pointed the whole cellar of the Gallery – another building 800m from home
- Installed a floating floor in the cellar so it can be used as an office space until the office structure is built up here.
- Worked with community members to design, apply for funding and begin implementing a picnic ground/park in the centre of the town, currently approximately 40% complete
Back to scheduled works…]
- Put a flagstone floor in the garden shed and filled it with stuff. Still needs cladding and organising but we started the cladding process and will continue as we can.
- Reorganised the main shed now that the ‘garden’ stuff is out of it. This still needs to be finalised but that doesn’t seem like it’s a task that will ever end.
- Destroyed the ‘sleepout’ on the western verandah and rebuilt it slightly larger and far more structurally sound so that we have a temporary bedroom – yay for turning the tiny house into a two bedroom one
- 3/4 built the stone wall around the well – that’s the current project which was begun at the start of the year and then put on pause so the other outside projects could be worked on
- SO MUCH WEEDING! The downfall of a consistently wet year…
So, without further ado, here are the progress photos for the last year:
As a special treat, seeing we are nominally half way through this project, here are a couple of photos taken in February 2009 that show what it was like before we decided to actually do some real work here.
Thanks to all the great WWOOFers and family help we’ve had this year… may the coming year be just as productive!