It’s been a very busy year so far: I’ve added Home School duties to my list with Aurelius beginning class one and we’ve had a couple of great long term WWOOFers who have kept the productivity rolling on the home front but it hasn’t left much time for tree counting and blog writing!
Better late than never though, just before we are about to start this year’s planting push, I’ve done the rounds of the block with my trusty notepad and come up with the final survival figures for last year’s babies.
So, we had a drop in survival rates this year, which can be attributed to a number of things:
- Due to our lack of WWOOFers through the planting season last year, although we planted significantly more trees than the previous year, many of them were planted well towards the end of the season meaning that they had less chance to get established before the hot weather set in.
- The two last areas to be planted (‘Windbreak 3’ & ‘Hecate’s Hill’) were not hooked up to the dripper systems until early November meaning that they had to be hand watered until then. I managed to get it done most weeks, but there’s no doubt that they were less well tended than is optimal. It’s no surprise that the losses were correspondingly more severe in these zones.
- Mulching of the flat areas was not achieved until January/February (!) and none of the slopes got mulched at all (we used up 3 big round bales of pea straw just on the flats). The ‘Front Yard’ area had germinated a great amount of mustard weed which acted like a natural mulch/shade so we purposefully didn’t weed that and the losses there were less, although that was the first area planted too so they were the best established as well.
- It was a long hot summer this year. Last year’s summer was mild throughout so none of the trees were pushed to their limits really meaning that our success rate was naturally very high. This year though, we had a number of days well over 50ºC and long stretches over 45ºC. The cooler weather also took longer to come – not really hitting until well into April. This meant that all the trees were really tested by the ambient air temperature, let alone the hot winds that always come with such conditions. Some plants like the Stone Pine which came with practically no roots had no chance, others just pulled through but will hopefully prosper next year with more advanced root systems.
- On the other hand rainfall levels were fantastic. With the warmer waters of the Indian Ocean adding moisture to the hot El Nino conditions every tree that was well established the previous year has prospered. The minor losses of trees from previous years – of less established plants – encourages me to hope that most of the trees, once they make it through the first summer, can be expected to continue reasonably happily.
All in all I am very happy with the progress so far and it’s really starting to feel like a garden now – there are parts of the yard where you can look up and see green all around you which is a lovely thing. There is also a noticeably increased quantity of birdlife which is very satisfying, watching the ecosystem build up naturally with only the addition of trees. In the next couple of years, I hope we can finish planting the main body of the trees and hit my goal of 1000 trees/shrubs on the block, and as more an more trees get some size to them the shade and wind profile of the block will start changing dramatically. Exciting times.